The U.S. Embassy has received reports of escalating protests in Bangui. MINUSCA and Central African security forces used warning shots in an attempt to disperse crowds in two different locations in the morning, and have increased patrols and check-points in the city. The U.S. Embassy has restricted movements for its personnel. The Embassy advises U.S. citizens to avoid non-essential movements and areas where crowds have gathered.
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Be vigilant and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
U.S. citizens who have decided to stay in the Central African Republic (CAR) despite the Travel Warning should regularly review their personal security situation. Embassy Bangui cannot provide consular services to U.S. citizens in CAR at this time. U.S. citizens in need of assistance should contact the U.S. Embassy in Yaoundé, Cameroon.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for CAR.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Cameroon, located at Avenue Rosa Parks in the Mbankolo Quartier, adjacent to the Mount Febe Golf Club, is open 8 am to 5pm, and can be reached from a mobile phone at 00-237-22220-1500 ext. 4341/4023; from a landline dial 00-237-2220-1500. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance after hours, the emergency number for the U.S. Embassy/Consulate is 00-237-22220-1500 ext. 4531 from a mobile phone, or 00-237-2220-1500 from a landline. Please note that due to local connectivity issues, not all mobile providers may work at all times. If you cannot get through, please try another service provider.
- The Embassy can also be contacted via e-mail by U.S. citizens at email@example.com.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 00-1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).