In advance of the Proclamation of the Republic Day on December 1, the U.S. Embassy in Bangui takes this opportunity to again remind U.S. citizens to continue to take adequate personal precautions. As has been noted in previous communications, exercise caution when in the vicinity of any large gatherings and if encountering demonstrations, avoid or leave the area where they are occurring. Additionally in recent weeks, crowds have gathered as a result of traffic accidents which sometimes turn angry and violent. Please drive with caution.
The U.S. Embassy in Bangui reminds individuals to be vigilant, review personal security plans, remain aware of surroundings, including local events, and monitor local news stations for updates. Embassy Bangui cannot provide consular services to U.S. citizens in CAR at this time. U.S. citizens in need of assistance should contact the U.S. Embassy in Yaoundé, Cameroon.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for CAR.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Cameroon, located at Avenue Rosa Parks in the Mbankolo Quartier, adjacent to the Mount Febe Golf Club, is open 8 am to 5pm, and can be reached from a mobile phone at 00-237-22220-1500 ext. 4341/4023; from a landline dial 00-237-2220-1500. If you are a U.S. citizen in need of urgent assistance after hours, the emergency number for the U.S. Embassy/Consulate is 00-237-22220-1500 ext. 4531 from a mobile phone, or 00-237-2220-1500 from a landline. Please note that due to local connectivity issues, not all mobile providers may work at all times. If you cannot get through, please try another service provider.
- The Embassy can also be contacted via e-mail by U.S. citizens at email@example.com.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 00-1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).