Location: Central African Republic, nationwide
Event: The Central African Republic marks its National Day on December 1. Processions, demonstrations, and other large gatherings may impact traffic within the city and throughout the country. U.S. government personnel are advised to limit their movements that day.
Although there are no specific threats against U.S. citizens, individuals may at any time become targets of opportunity for criminal activity and should exercise caution in crowded areas. Personnel should be aware of the dangers posed by traffic, which are increased by the lack of sidewalks and pedestrian areas. Host nation law enforcement capacity is limited and will be further stretched on December 1.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Carry proper identification at all times, including a valid U.S. passport with Central African Republic visa.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S Embassy Yaounde, Cameroon
+237 2 2220-1500
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-444
- Central African Republic Travel Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.