Location: Central African Republic (Nationwide)
Event: Reports of Pre-Election Increased Violence, Criminality and Armed Group Activity
U.S. Embassy Bangui has received reports of increased violence, criminality, and armed group activity in the regions of Ombella-Mpoko, Ouham, Ouham-Pende, Lobaye and Ouaka.
Although there have been no specific incidents of violence or threats targeting U.S. citizens, civil unrest, demonstrations, and violence have already occurred, and may recur in the period leading up to, during, and following the December 27 elections. Armed groups may seek to move towards Bangui and/or cut off supply routes into the city.
Commercial flight options are available and should be utilized if you are concerned for your security. Please check with airlines directly regarding their schedules, as flights may change at the last-minute.
Actions to Take:
- For information on what the State Department can and cannot do in a crisis, please read our Frequently Asked Questions.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Have shelter in place plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Monitor local and international media (such as Radio France International and France24) and communiques from the Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA) for updates.
- Review your personal security plans, be vigilant, and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
- Establish your own personal security plan in coordination with your employer or host organization.
- Be prepared to shelter in place at your residence or an alternate safe haven.
- Avoid any areas near demonstrations and crowds.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Remain aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
- Always carry proof of your legal presence in Central African Republic, such as a U.S. passport with a visa, or a residency card.
- For COVID-19 travel information, check travel.state.gov and your planned air carrier for requirements.
- The U.S. Embassy in Bangui does not provide consular services at this time. Contact the U.S. Embassy in Yaounde if you need consular services.
- U.S. Embassy Yaounde, Cameroon
+(237) 2 2220-1500 ext. 4341/4023
+(237) 2 2220-1500 ext 4531 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Central African Republic Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter