Date: April 10, 2018
Location: Bangui’s PK5 Neighborhood and 7th Arrondissement
Event: On April 10, 2018, MINUSCA and Central African security forces conducted a routine security patrol in Bangui’s PK5 neighborhood when militia fired upon them. The situation has since escalated. Gunfire continues to be reported in that neighborhood and other areas of Bangui. Possible unrest is reported at the prison in the 7th Arrondissement.
The U.S. Embassy in Bangui has limited all movements in the city.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid Bangui’s PK5 neighborhood and adjoining neighborhoods
- Avoid Bangui’s 7th Arrondissement
- Monitor local media for updates
- Review personal security plans
- Remain aware of surroundings
- U.S. Embassy in Cameroon, (Yaoundé, Cameroon)
00-237-22220-1500 ext. 4341/4023; from a landline dial 00-237-2220-1500
- State Department – Consular Affairs
01-888-407-4747 or 01-202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Central African Republic Country Information