Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Bangui, Central African Republic (January 13, 2021)
Location: Central African Republic (Bangui)
Event: The U.S. Embassy has received reports of clashes in Bangui between PK11 and PK 12 and in the Bimbo area. Out of an abundance of caution and due to the possibility of violence and civil unrest, U.S. Embassy Bangui has advised employees to shelter in place immediately for an indefinite period of time.
- Have shelter in place plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Monitor the U.S. Embassy website and Twitter page for further updates.
- For information on what the State Department can and cannot do in a crisis, please read our Frequently Asked Questions.
- Monitor local and international media (such as Radio France International and France24) and communiques from the Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA) for updates.
- Review your personal security plans, be vigilant, and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
- Establish your own personal security plan in coordination with your employer or host organization.
- Avoid any areas near demonstrations and crowds.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Remain aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
- Always carry proof of your legal presence in Central African Republic, such as a U.S. passport with a visa, or a residency card.
- For COVID-19 travel information, check travel.state.gov and your planned air carrier for requirements.
- The U.S. Embassy in Bangui does not provide consular services at this time. Contact the U.S. Embassy in Yaounde if you need consular services.
- U.S. Embassy Yaounde, Cameroon
+ (237) 2 2251-4000
+(237) 2 2220-1500
+(237) 2 2251-4000 and +(237) 2 2220-1500 (after hours)
- State Department – Consular Affairs 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Central African Republic Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter