Security Alert: U. S. Embassy Bangui, Central African Republic
Location: Central African Republic (Nationwide)
Event: Reports of Violence in Bangui and Nationwide
U.S. Embassy Bangui has received reports of violence and general panic in Bangui, specifically the PK12 neighborhood, as well as ongoing instability in the provinces. The U.S. embassy issued an immediate shelter in place notice for all employees.
Although there have been no specific incidents of violence or threats targeting U.S. citizens, civil unrest, demonstrations, and violence have already occurred, and may recur in the period leading up to, during, and following the December 27 elections. Armed groups may seek to move towards Bangui and/or cut off supply routes into the city.
Actions to Take:
- Remain calm and shelter in place in your current location, residence, or nearest safe haven.
- Monitor the U.S. Embassy website and Twitter page for further updates.
- For information on what the State Department can and cannot do in a crisis, please read our Frequently Asked Questions.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Have shelter in place plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Monitor local and international media (such as Radio France International and France24) and communiques from the Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA) for updates.
- Review your personal security plans, be vigilant, and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
- Establish your own personal security plan in coordination with your employer or host organization.
- Avoid any areas near demonstrations and crowds.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Remain aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
- Always carry proof of your legal presence in Central African Republic, such as a U.S. passport with a visa, or a residency card.
- For COVID-19 travel information, check travel.state.gov and your planned air carrier for requirements.
- The U.S. Embassy in Bangui does not provide consular services at this time. Contact the U.S. Embassy in Yaounde if you need consular services.
- U.S. Embassy Yaounde, Cameroon
+ (237) 222 51-4000
+(237) 2 2220-1500
+(237) 2 2220-4000 and +(237) 2 2220-1500 (after hours)