Location: Central African Republic (Nationwide)
Event: Reports of Pre-Electoral Violence Nationwide
U.S. Embassy Bangui has received reports of pre-electoral violence nationwide. Out of an abundance of caution, the U.S. Embassy in Bangui decided to limit staff to mission-critical movements starting on December 24 for an indefinite period of time.
Although there have been no specific incidents of violence or threats targeting U.S. citizens, civil unrest, demonstrations, and violence have already occurred, and may recur in the period leading up to, during, and following the December 27 elections. Armed groups may seek to move towards Bangui and/or cut off supply routes into the city.
Actions to Take:
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Have shelter-in-place plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- Monitor the U.S. Embassy website and Twitter page for further updates.
- For information on what the State Department can and cannot do in a crisis, please read our Frequently Asked Questions.
- Monitor local and international media (such as Radio France International and France24) and communiques from the Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA) for updates.
- Review your personal security plans, be vigilant, and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
- Establish your own personal security plan in coordination with your employer or host organization.
- Avoid any areas near demonstrations and crowds.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Remain aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
- Always carry proof of your legal presence in Central African Republic, such as a U.S. passport with a visa, or a residency card.
- For COVID-19 travel information, check travel.state.gov and your planned air carrier for requirements.
- The U.S. Embassy in Bangui does not provide consular services at this time. Contact the U.S. Embassy in Yaounde if you need consular services.