Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Bangui, the Central African Republic (April 10, 2020)
Event: Potential Evacuation Option
This message has been updated to note that if you are interested in joining this repatriation flight and you have not yet contacted the U.S. Embassy in Bangui, please write to BanguiConsular@state.gov as soon as possible to register your interest. Please be sure to include your e-mail address and telephone number in your message.
The Department of State is preparing a potential evacuation flight to Dulles Aiport (IAD) in Washington, D.C. with capacity for private U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents on a reimbursable basis, leaving Bangui M’Poko International Airport on or about April 15, 2020. The approximate cost of this flight is $1,774.
Please ensure that you monitor your email and telephone for status notifications regarding this repatriation flight, as the process is likely to move quickly. If you are considering leaving CAR, we encourage you to take advantage of the upcoming opportunity as it is unlikely that there will be another repatriation flight organized by the U.S. Embassy.
- Please note that all passengers will need to reimburse the U.S. Government for the flight, and a promissory note must be signed before boarding.
- S. citizens in possession of valid U.S. passports who are interested and prepared to travel should contact BanguiConsular@state.gov with the information below. Please do not call to confirm receipt of your email; you will be contacted with additional information.
- Full name:
- U.S. passport number:
- Email Address:
- Phone Number:
- Country Visa type, number, and expiration date (non- U.S. citizens only):
- When you arrive at the airport, you will be lined up according to priority boarding to ensure that your documents have been received and signed. All passengers will need to reimburse the U.S. Government for the repatriation flight, and a promissory note for the cost of the repatriation flight must be signed before boarding. No cash or credit card payments will be accepted.
- Health Care Screenings: No passengers showing symptoms of COVID will be allowed to board the aircraft. When applicable, a health questionnaire should be completed prior to boarding.
- Prior to landing in the US, paperwork will be disseminated to passengers regarding appropriate health care procedures. Quarantine rules of the country you are entering apply.
- All international travelers arriving in the U.S. are recommended to stay home for 14 days after returning from travel, monitor their health, and practice social distancing. However, expect these recommendations to change based on onward destination within the U.S.
- Luggage Restrictions: 2 bags (70 pounds or less each), 1 carry-on, and 1 personal item (must fit under the seat in front of you) per person.
- We expect the flight to be full, and will not have capacity for significantly overweight baggage.
- Passengers are encouraged to bring snacks or food for special diets.
- Please remember to hand carry your U.S. Passport or LPR card, any prescription medications, and bottled water and snacks.
- Passengers should bring layers due to cold temperatures onboard flights.
- Please be aware that although we will make every effort to efficiently process travelers, there may be delays and wait times. We ask your patience.
- Onward travel from point of entry in the United States is the responsibility of the traveler.
- Individuals entering the United States may be subject to CDC screening, health observation, monitoring requirements and existing DHS entry requirements. Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
The Embassy strongly recommends that any U.S. citizen interested in leaving CAR take advantage of this flight, as we are at this time unaware of any additional international flights departing CAR. U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the World Health Organization’s daily sitrep to determine if a country has local transmission
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Central African Republic.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Bangui, Central African Republic
Ave. David Dacko
Phone: (236) 2161 – 0200
Fax: (236) 2161 – 4494
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Central African Republic Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook