Event: COVID-19 Health Update
The Ministry of Health of the Central African Republic (CAR) has confirmed there are cases of COVID-19 in the country.
On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure from any diplomatic or consular post in the world of US personnel and family members who have been medically determined to be at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19.
The government of CAR has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. The government of CAR established a coronavirus hotline (French and Sango) – call 1212 if you have questions or to report possible exposure.
- Mandatory 14-day self-quarantine for any person entering CAR coming from a location with local transmission of COVID-19.* (see “Actions to Take” below)
- No handshakes or kissing, instead use non-contact greetings for social interactions
- No large gatherings
- Public spaces must have hand-washing stations
Bangui airport remains open. However, at this time, the U.S. Embassy is unaware of any commercial flights arriving in or departing from CAR. If you need assistance departing the country, please contact us at ConsularBangui@state.gov.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice.
The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in the Central African Republic. For emergency American Citizens Services, please visit our website for additional information.
On March 18, the Department of State ordered the departure of non-emergency U.S. personnel in Bangui.
Visit the local government COVID-19 website http://www.msp-centrafrique.net/ for updated information.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the World Health Organization’s daily sitrep to determine if a country has local transmission
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Central African Republic.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Bangui, Central African Republic
Ave. David Dacko
Phone: (236) 2161 – 0200
Fax: (236) 2161 – 4494
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Central African Republic Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook