Event: According to press and social media reports, “anti-Western” political rallies are scheduled to take place throughout Bangui’s city center on Saturday, October 7, 2023 starting at 0800 hrs. Demonstrations will start at multiple locations, Martyrs Carrefour, Rond Point Place Des Nations Unies, Cathedral and Rond Point Ngaragba and proceed to Point Zero.
Actions to Take:
- The Embassy advises U.S. citizens to avoid non-essential movements and areas where crowds have gathered as even peaceful demonstrations may quickly turn violent.
- Monitor local news stations.
- Remain aware of your surroundings and keep a low profile.
- Review your personal security plans, be vigilant, and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
- Always carry proof of your legal presence in Central African Republic, such as a U.S. passport with visa, or a residency card.
- The U.S. Embassy in Bangui does not provide consular services at this time. Contact the U.S. Embassy in Yaounde if you need consular services.
U.S Embassy Yaounde, Cameroon
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4341/4023
+237 2 2220-1500 ext. 4531 (after hours)
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates