Last updated: [09/02/2020]
- The Central African Republic (CAR) is under a level 4 “Do Not Travel” Travel Advisory due to COVID-19, Embassy Bangui’s limited capacity to provide support to U.S. citizens, crime, civil unrest, and kidnapping. CAR’s medical infrastructure is inadequate to deal with COVID-19 cases or any other health conditions.
Entry and Exit Requirements:
- Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? Yes
- The Central African Republic does not require visas for visits under 180 days by U.S. passport holders. However, not all airlines will board U.S. passport holders without a valid visa, so travelers are advised to check with their carrier. If you arrive in CAR without a visa, expect long delays at airport immigration.
- Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry? No
- Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
- Visa extensions for three-months are allowed.
- Is a curfew in place? No
- Are there restrictions on intercity or interstate travel? No
- Are U.S. citizens required to quarantine? Yes
- U.S. citizens are required to quarantine for 21 days. However, if you are a member of an international organization or humanitarian NGO, a quarantine is only required until you receive a negative COVID-19 test at the local Pasteur Institute. The cost of the test is approximately US$70.00 (CFA35,000)
- The Pasteur Institute is the primary COVID-19 testing facility in the country. The cost of the test is CFA 35,000 (US$70.00). They do not accept credit cards so be prepared to pay in cash. The local Ledger Hotel has ATM machines for cash.
- Are commercial flights operating? Yes
- Is public transportation operating? Yes
- Public transportation is considered dangerous and it is not recommended to travel by mini-bus or moto-taxis (motorcycles). Private cabs are available.
Fines for Non-Compliance:
- Not applicable.
- Embassy Bangui does not offer ACS services. For ACS services, please contact U.S. Embassy in Yaounde, Cameroon at +(237) 22220-1500 ext. 4341/4023 or in case of emergency +(237) 22220-1500, ext. 4531. Their email address is YaoundeACS@state.gov.
- Embassy Bangui does not offer visa services at this time.